Basic Degree Information/Description
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in English offers students opportunities for advanced study and research in cross-cultural, transnational approaches to English language and literary studies, with coursework required in U.S. Latina/o literature and the theory and practice of teaching composition. The Ph.D. in English is awarded to candidates who complete all required coursework, demonstrate in-depth, cross-cultural knowledge of English-language literature, and produce an original contribution to their field of specialization.
Why Pursue a Ph.D. in English at UTSA?
- We offer a doctoral program with an emphasis in cross-cultural, transnational approaches to English language and literary studies.
- We offer graduate fellowships and scholarships to eligible students.
- We have a low student-to-faculty ratio and offer extensive mentoring to graduate students.
- We offer study abroad opportunities in England, Italy, and Spain.
Requirements and Specific Deadline
Admission requirements and pre-requisites: The student must have a Master's degree in English or a related discipline with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher or a Bachelor's degree in English or a related discipline with a grade point average of 3.5 or better. The student must have a minimum of at least 18 upper-division and/or graduate hours in English literary studies with a grade point average of 3.5 or better.
Graduate Studies Application: Yes
Department Application: No
Test Scores: English Subject GRE & General GRE Required. These scores will be considered in comparison with scores from applicants of similar socioeconomic background.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
Resume or CV: Yes
Letters of Recommendation: 3 L/R Required- attesting to the student's academic training, capability, and potential
Statement of Purpose: Yes (2 - 3 pages)
Other Degree Requirements: Writing Sample - research paper of approximately 15 pages
Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Full-Time or Part-Time Attendance Requirement: Full-Time or Part-Time
Graduate Advisor of Record: Bernadette Andrea, Ph.D.
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: (210) 458-5339
Graduate Catalog Link: http://www.utsa.edu/gcat/chapter6/COLFA/engdept.html#phdeng
Degree Website: http://colfa.utsa.edu/English/phd.html
- University or College Professor
- Professional Writing
- Students have also received University Teaching and Dissertation Fellowships and external fellowships, such as the Ford Dissertation and Smithsonian Graduate Fellowships.
Course Scheduling and Offerings
- Graduate classes are generally offered in the evening and may also be offered in the afternoon or morning.
- A full listing of current classes may be accessed through ASAP (Course Schedules) and syllabi may be accessed through Bluebook.
- Funding is available for graduate student travel to conferences.
- Graduate Certificates in Creative Writing and in Rhetoric and Composition.