Basic Degree Information/Description:
The Master of Science (M.S.) degree program in Geology offers students the opportunity for advanced study and research in the field of Geology. For degree information, please see the degree website listed below. Qualified students are encouraged to apply for teaching and/or research assistantships and fellowships. Requests should be addressed to the Chair of the Department of Geological Science when application is made for admission to UTSA. An application form for teaching assistantships is available at the degree website. The Master of Science degree program in Geology offers opportunities for advanced study and research designed to prepare students for roles in industry, government, research institutes, or educational institutions.
Why pursue an M.S. in Geology at UTSA?
The department pursues research and teaching in the key areas of hydrogeology (water resources, aqueous geochemistry), geobiology (paleontology and geomicrobiology), geoinformatics (geospatial analysis, GIS, remote sensing), and land dynamics (geomorphology, environmental geology, sedimentology).
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
Bachelor's degree in Geology (equivalent to UTSA's) or a bachelor's degree in chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, life sciences, or engineering with sufficient coursework in the geosciences. Background or remedial courses may be required to remove deficiencies. Applications lacking these requirements will be asked to complete the deficiencies in their program. Applicant's evaluation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Graduate Studies Application: Yes
Department Application: No
Transcripts: Official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended
Test Scores: General GRE Required
Letters of Recommendation: 3 L/R Required- from person's familiar with the applicant's academic record.
Statement of Purpose: Personal Statement of Research Interest
Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
The Master of Science degree in Geology requires the successful completion of a minimum of 33 semester credit hours.
For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Application Deadline Dates
Domestic Applicants (Citizens and Permanent Residents):
Spring- November 1
Summer- April 1
Fall- July 1
Spring- September 1
Summer- March 1
Fall- April 1
Graduate Advisor of Record: Hongjie Xie, Ph.D.
Telephone: (210) 458-5445
Degree Catalog Link:
Career Options Available for an M.S. in Geology Graduate:
- Career opportunities are within both the public and private realm.
- Former students work at environmental and engineering consulting firms (e.g., Hurd Enterprises, San Antonio, TX; Parsons Engineering, Denver, CO), petroleum exploration companies (e.g., Noble Energy, Houston), and Southwest Research Institute.
- Some students pursue doctoral degrees.
Course Scheduling and Offerings:
- This program is housed on UTSA’s Main Campus.
- Between 4 PM and 9 PM.
Recently completed thesis projects include:
- Penelope Wagner, Intercomparisons of sea ice thickness and concentration from visual observation, EM measurements, and video imagery
- Benjamin Boyer, The conodont color alteration index using igneous and metamorphic pressure and temperature conditions, Marble Canyon, Sierra Diablo Mountains, west Texas
- Jonas Harrell, Carboniferous stratigraphy of the Sierra Diablo, Culbertson county, Texas
- Marla Roberts, Time series resistivity analysis of unsaturated karst
- Leigh Symank, Variable density modeling of the hydrogeologic evolution of the convergence zone between freshwater and saline basinal groundwater, Wilcox group, Central Texas, Gulf of Mexico coastal plain, USA