Health and Kinesiology (M.S.)
Basic Degree Information/Description:
The Master of Science degree in Health and Kinesiology is designed for students seeking advanced preparation for teaching physical and health education in school and community settings, and pursuing careers in areas related to kinesiology or health. It is intended to offer students the opportunity to expand content knowledge and to apply such information to become more effective teachers and leaders. Graduates of this program pursue careers as teachers, coaches, researchers, supervisors, health workers, and administrators in the education, health, and private sectors. In addition, the program is also designed for students who wish to continue their studies at other universities at the doctoral level.
Why pursue an MS in Health and Kinesiology degree from UTSA?
- We are the only MS program in Health and Kinesiology in San Antonio.
- A student friendly faculty.
- A strong faculty research program.
Non-thesis option: Minimum 36 semester credit hours including 9 required hours, 18 prescribed elective hours, and 9 free elective hours.
Thesis option: Minimum 33 semester credit hours including 9 required hours, 12 prescribed elective hours, 6 free elective hours, and 6 thesis hours.
For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines:
Admission pre-requisites: Bachelor's Degree with G.P.A. of at least 3.0 or 2.7 - 2.99 for probationary status in last 60 hours of coursework.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
Graduate Studies Application: Yes
Department Application: No
Test Scores: No
Resume or CV: Resume is required
Letters of Recommendation: Two L/R from professional references are required.
Statement of Purpose: A statement of purpose is required and should not be longer than one typed page and must list the interest of specialization.
Other Degree Requirements: Students who are admitted with leveling course requirements must take the following undergraduate courses: HTH 3503 Foundations of Health Theory (for Health Promotion Specialization) or KIN 2303 Cultural and Scientific Foundations (for Exercise Science and Sport Pedagogy/Psychology Specializations), and one additional course at the discretion of the student's faculty advisor.
Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Application Deadline Dates
Domestic Applicants (Citizens and Permanent Residents):
Spring- November 1
Summer- May 1
Fall- July 1
Spring- September 1
Summer- March 1
Fall- April 1
Graduate Advisor of Record: Kevin Desjean, M.A.
Telephone: (210) 458-6147
Contact the Graduate School:
Degree Catalog Link:
Career Options Available for a MS in Health and Kinesiology Graduate:
- Education: teaching at public schools and at universities/colleges
- Business: sports administration, including coaching at high school and colleges.
- Medical: advanced training for physical therapy and medical school
- Local/State/Federal positions in community and public health, health research, and other related areas.
- GA applications, as well as the general listing of scholarships on the graduate school website.
Course Scheduling and Offerings:
- Most graduate classes are offered from 5:30-8:15; some classes offered online via UT Tele-campus.
- This particular program is housed on the UTSA Main Campus.
Research taking place in the Health and Kinesiology program:
- Dr. Sara Oswalt and Dr. Tammy Wyatt- "Somos Fuertes: Strong Women Making Health Choices"- program that increases access to sex education and risk behaviors for women.
- Dr. William Cooke- intervention for trauma patients and combat soldiers, Dept. of Defense, U.S. Army Medical Research and Material Command.
- For more detailed info on current research, please visit the department website: http://education.utsa.edu/health_and_kinesiology/research_labs/