Translational Science (Ph.D.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
A new joint doctoral degree – a Ph.D. in Translational Science (TS Ph.D.) – has been approved by the University of Texas System and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). In line with a field of science that emphasizes multi-disciplinary, collaborative research, the proposed doctoral degree program in Translational Science is offered as a multi-institutional joint degree program. The four UT System universities partnering in this effort are:
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA)
- The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA)
- The University of Texas at Austin (UT Austin)
The goal of the Translational Science Ph.D. Program is to provide an in-depth, rigorous, and individualized multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional research education and training program in translational science that will prepare research scientists to integrate information from multiple domains and conduct independent and team-oriented research to improve human and global health.
Why pursue a Ph.D. in Translational Science?
For many years, extensive national resources have been devoted to basic biomedical (bench) and clinical (human subject) research; however, significant barriers continue to exist in moving knowledge bi-directionally between basic research, clinical research, and applications to improve health outcomes in individuals and the community. These barriers make it difficult to efficiently and effectively translate new knowledge into improved patient care.
To remedy these problems, Translational Science is emerging as an academic and scientific discipline. Translational Science (TS) is a scientific discipline that investigates methods to move discovery more efficiently and effectively into application. TS investigators must respond, interact, facilitate change, and conduct research within and among varied organizational behaviors, structures, and cultures. TS conducts rigorous studies that close the knowledge gaps between different levels of the research process – the basic science laboratory, clinical research discoveries, and application of these research findings toward disease prevention and management, and strategies to improve human, community, and global health. Translational research is often defined at two levels: (T1) Applying and advancing research-generated discoveries in the laboratory to research trials in human subjects; and (T2) Research that promotes the adoption of best practices in clinical practice settings and the community and policy development.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Admission requirements and prerequisites: Completion of an advanced Professional Degree (e.g., MD, DO, DDS, MSN, PharmD), enrollment in a clinical professional doctoral degree program, or a Master’s or Doctoral Degree in a health-related, science, or social science discipline.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
Specific Degree Requirements:
- Copy of U.S. Medical License/Certificate: If applicable, a copy should be submitted with the online application.
- Criminal Background Check: Because students in the TS Ph.D. program will attend class and be enrolled at four UT institutions, the background check requirements of all institutions must be met. The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio requires students to undergo a criminal background check prior to their admission, therefore, all students accepted into the TS Ph.D. program will undergo a criminal background check through the UT Health Science Center.
- Immunizations: If admitted to the TS Ph.D. Program, all State of Texas immunization requirements must be met prior to registration. A list of the required immunizations for UT Health Science Center may be found at the student services website.
- Because students in the TS Ph.D. Program will attend class and possibly conduct research at four UT institutions, all immunization requirements of all institutions must be met. As a result, students in the TS Ph.D. program are required to have the hepatitis B immunization. If you are admitted into the TS PhD program, you WILL BE REQUIRED to show proof of completion (or near completion) of the Hepatitis B immunization series or show serologic confirmation of immunity to Hepatitis B virus prior to enrollment (Texas Administrative Code Title 25, Part 1 Section 97.63). The Hepatitis B immunization series is administered over a period of six months. You are advised to begin the immunization series as soon as possible after applying for admission.
- Insurance: All students in the TS PhD program are required to maintain valid medical insurance while enrolled - either through employer, personal purchase, or school-sponsored purchase. You will be required to show proof of insurance or purchase medical insurance each semester.
Graduate Studies Application: No
Department Application: Yes. https://apply.embark.com/Grad/UTHSCSA/
Test Scores: General GRE Required: Please visit the following website for test score requirement: http://iims.uthscsa.edu/ed_trans_sci_phd_app_materials.html
Resume or CV: Yes. A current CV should be submitted with the online application.
Letters of Recommendation:
- 3 L/R required from faculty or other individuals who are familiar with and can provide information about the applicant’s academic, research, and/or professional abilities and performance. In addition, letters of recommendation should provide an assessment of the applicant’s potential to succeed in a doctoral program and develop into an independent research investigator. These letters should be on letterhead and submitted with the online application.
- In addition to Letters of Recommendation, applicant recommenders may also be prompted to complete a Recommendation Form. If this prompt is received, please ask your recommender to complete both forms of recommendation.
Statement of Purpose: Yes. Applicants must submit a personal statement (1-3 pages) that describes the applicant’s past training and experience, future career goals and objectives, scientific research interest, and how the TS Ph.D. program will prepare them to achieve the stated research interest and career goals. The personal statement should be submitted with the online application. The Personal Statement should include but is not limited to:
- A statement of the applicant’s background and purpose for applying to the TS Ph.D. program,
- Applicant’s interest in and commitment to a translational science career
- Applicant’s potential to develop into a successful scientist, as evidenced by research training/experience, prior publications, etc.
- Research interest and its applicability to the TS Ph.D. program
- Identification of a potential Supervising Professor, if applicable
- Career goals and how the TS Ph.D. program will contribute to their attainment
Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 565 paper/ 86 internet/ Computer 225
Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Full-Time or Part-Time Attendance Requirement: Full-Time or Part-Time
Degree Website: http://iims.uthscsa.edu/ed_trans_sci_phd.html
Online Application: https://apply.embark.com/Grad/UTHSCSA/
Degree Catalog Link: http://iims.uthscsa.edu/ed_trans_sci_phd_requirements.html
- University of Texas at San Antonio Representative
Monica Rodriguez, M.Ed.
Director of Graduate Admissions
The University of Texas at San Antonio
- Graduate Advisor of Record
Michael J. Lichtenstein, MD, MSc
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- University of Texas at Health Sciences at San Antonio Representative (Translational Science program only)
Susan Stappenbeck, M.Ed, MPH
Senior Project Coordinator
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
- Contact now for more information