Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Applied Statistics (M.S.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Science (M.S.) Degree in Applied Statistics includes instruction in a broad range of statistical methods and computational tools to equip students to pursue careers as government, industrial, or academic statisticians, or to continue to doctoral study in statistics.
Why pursue an M.S. in Applied Statistics at UTSA?
- In this age of advanced technology, there is an increasing demand for trained individuals who understand the nature or designing experiments, making predictions and forecasts, and analyzing large complex datasets. In response to this demand, the Master of Science degree in Applied Statistics has been implemented at UTSA. The program will include instruction in a broad range of statistical methods and applied computational tools to equip students to pursue careers in government, health science centers, pharmaceutical and manufacturing industries, financial institutions, or to continue to doctoral study in statistics.
- Diverse: Issues In Higher Education magazine acknowledged UTSA as one of the nation’s “top STEM degree producers” in August 2013. UTSA’s Mathematics and Statistics programs were ranked 12th nationally for the number of master’s degrees awarded to minority students during the 2011-2012 academic year.
Application Requirements and Deadlines:
- Students must complete 33 semester credit hours and a comprehensive examination.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission requirements and prerequisites:
- A B.A. or B.S. in statistics, mathematics, engineering or business, or a closely related field is highly recommended as preparation. In particular, three semesters of calculus and a course in matrix theory/linear algebra or their equivalents are required for unconditional admission. A course in probability or statistics is preferred but not required.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A complete Graduate Studies application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Official GRE required.
- A Resume is optional.
- Letters of Recommendation are optional.
- A Statement of Purpose is optional.
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Career Options Available
Graduates of the degree (the former MS in Mathematics with a concentration in Statistics and MS in Statistics) are employed as statisticians throughout the community at The UT health Science Center, Fort Sam Houston, PPD Pharmaco, ILEX Oncology, USAA and Southwest Research Institute. In addition several graduates have earned doctoral degrees at such schools as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Southern Methodist University and the University of Chicago. The MS in Applied Statistics will further enhance job opportunities for its graduates with the emphasis on applied courses and the implementation of statistical methodologies using SAS and R.