Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Art History (M.A.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Arts degree in Art History offers the opportunity for advanced study in art history, with an emphasis on Spanish, pre-Columbian, Latin American Colonial to Modern, and contemporary Hispanic art in the United States; contemporary United States art and criticism; and the cultural and artistic traditions of San Antonio' s immediate region. The degree is designed to prepare the student for a career as a teacher of art history at the junior-college level and other arts-related professions or to serve as a basis for entering doctoral studies elsewhere.
- The minimum number of semester credit hours required for this degree, exclusive of coursework or other study required to remove admission deficiencies, is 36.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Bachelor's degree with 24 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A complete Graduate Studies application.
- Department Application: Yes (Completed within the Graduate Studies Application)
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- General GRE
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: At least 2 of which should be academic
- A Statement of Purpose: Statement of intent
- Other Degree Requirements: Scholarly writing sample with research emphasis
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.