Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Basic Degree Information/Description
The graduate program offers opportunities for advanced study and research leading to the Master of Science degree in Biology. A thesis option is offered to students who want an opportunity to develop expertise in research techniques and data analysis; a nonthesis option is offered for those who want the opportunity to earn the Master of Science degree through organized coursework. The thesis option is recommended for students who plan a career in research or contemplate pursuing a doctorate in one of the life sciences. The nonthesis option might be suitable for students interested in secondary school teaching in the life sciences. Graduate faculty research interests include biochemistry, cellular biology, development biology, ecology, genetics, microbiology, neurobiology, physiology, and plant sciences.
- Degree candidates are required to complete a minimum of 36 semester credit hours approved by the student’s Graduate Advisor of Record. Applicants are expected to have completed an undergraduate major in one of the biological sciences, with undergraduate preparation comparable to the required for the Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at UTSA.
- Students whose undergraduate preparation is deficient in certain areas but who meet the minimum University standards for admission may be conditionally admitted and required to complete specific undergraduate or graduate courses as conditions of admissions. In such cases, students should anticipate that additional time will be required to complete the degree.
- Students who are denied admission to the M.S. program must reapply if interested in acceptance as a Special Graduate student or non-degree seeking student.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines:
- Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A complete Graduate Studies application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- General GRE required
- 2 Letters of Recommendation are required
- Statement of Purpose- a statement of future plans is required, including a reason why you wish to pursue an M.S. in Biology
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.