Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Science in Business (M.S.B.) degree is designed to offer business skills and knowledge to qualified students with a non-business undergraduate major. The plan of study features cohort classes to allow students whose previous education has been in non-business fields, such as liberal arts, science and engineering, to obtain graduate level business training as a complement to their previous education.
Why UTSA for an MS in Business?
- Affordable tuition
- Full-time, cohort program (classes taken in a specific sequence)
- One year program, beginning in June (Summer I semester)
- Specialized Business study for students with non-business backgrounds/degrees
Degree candidates must complete 33 semester credit hours of required coursework.
For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Applicants must meet University-wide graduate admission requirements.
- Applicants are limited to individuals with non-business backgrounds and or degrees.
- Applicants will be considered on the basis of demonstrated potential for success in graduate study in business as indicated by a combination of standardized test scores, prior academic achievement, personal statement, résumé (optional), and letters of recommendation.
- The M.S.B. Program Committee will evaluate each applicant individually based on the complete package of submitted materials.
- A completed Graduate Studies Application form
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores from a recent (no more than five years old) administration of the examination. Or, Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores from a recent (no more than five years old) administration of the exam will be accepted in lieu of the GRE scores.
- Official transcripts from all universities attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- A Personal Statement: Provide a statement of academic and personal goals
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Résumé with employment or other experience: Optional
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score(for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Students who do not submit a standardized test score may be considered for Conditional Admission upon recommendation of the M.S.B. Admissions Committee.
Applicants whose undergraduate degree is in business should consider the MBA or a specialized Masters’ degree. Applicants with a B.B.A or other undergraduate or graduate business degree, or significant business experience will not be admitted to this degree program.
The M.S.B. is a full-time cohort program offered during the daytime.
Career Options Available for an M.S.B. Graduate
Regardless of their major in college or area of employment, a majority of college graduates will find themselves working within an organization or a corporation. A research lab, retail store, school, political consultancy shop, art loft and magazine proofing department, are all organizations (or parts of organizations). And these organizations can be studied, advanced, and understood in the discipline of business administration. The study of the structures and functional areas of business and the tools and methods for decision making, problem solving, and leadership apply to nearly all non-business jobs. The M.S. in Business is a generalist degree, designed for non-business majors with little or no business experience. The M.S. in Business is thus expected to add value to unemployed and to underemployed non-business majors. While a faculty committee developed the curriculum, input was obtained from corporate recruiters and members of the College of Business Advisory Board.