Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Civil Engineering (M.C.E.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Civil Engineering degree is designed to provide specialized knowledge in selected technical areas of Civil Engineering. The educational objective of this program is to produce graduates who are capable of professional practice in a specialized area of Civil Engineering namely, environmental engineering, geo-environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, structural engineering,transportation engineering, and water resources engineering. The new MCE degree is a courses-only program targeted towards providing advanced technical training and building critical thinking skills for practicing engineers. Technical training is provided in five areas: environmental, geotechnical, hydraulic, structural and transportation engineering.
The minimum number of semester credit hours required for the MCE degree, in addition to any conditional course requirements, is 34 semester credit hours. At least 24 semester credit hours must be taken at UTSA. MCE students are required to give a technical seminar.
- The minimum number of semester credit hours required for the MCE degree, in addition to any conditional course requirements, is 34 semester credit hours. At least 24 semester credit hours must be taken at UTSA. MCE students are required to give a technical seminar. For a complete list of degree requirements, please contact the department.
- For more information on coursework, please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines:
- Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A complete Graduate Studies application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- General GRE required
- A Resume or CV is optional.
- Letters of Recommendation are optional.
- A Statement of Purpose describing the applicant's research/specialization interest is required.
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Career Options Available for a Civil Engineering Graduate
Our graduates are in high demand in a multitude of private and government agencies, such as engineering consulting firms, infrastructure design/construction companies, environmental health companies, as well as various state, city, and municipal government organizations.