Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Data Analytics (M.S.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
This program will help students understand and properly employ data analytic algorithms used in the field, while providing students the skills needed to acquire, extract, transform, load, process, analyze, exploit, visualize, and communicate vast quantities and types of data. The program will enable graduates to transform data into relevant information that leads to knowledge and better decision making.
Why UTSA for an MS in Business?
This new program is designed to produce highly skilled and educated data scientists with broad knowledge in quantitative analysis and practical experience in targeted application areas such as cyber security, data science management, statistical analysis, life science and healthcare management, and more general business analytics. There is a large demand for these skills, and salaries are high.
For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- To qualify for unconditional admission, applicants must satisfy University-Wide Graduate Admission Requirements.
- A B.A. or B.S. in statistics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, information systems, information technology, or a closely related field is highly recommended as preparation.
- Applicants will be evaluated for success in the program based on demonstrable academic preparation and/or experience with respect to mathematics, statistics, and information technology.
- Coursework in calculus, differential equations, stochastic processes, statistics, and data mining are not required, but show foundational mathematical preparation and are preferred in some combination.
- Information systems/technology courses, computer science courses, and/or professional experience related to databases, networks, distributed and cloud infrastructures, and programming are not required, but show foundational information technology preparation and are preferred in some combination.
- Applicants will be considered on the basis of demonstrated potential for success in graduate study in business as indicated by a combination of standardized test scores, prior academic achievement, personal statement, résumé, and letters of recommendation.
The M.S.D.A. Program Committee will evaluate each applicant individually based on the complete package of submitted materials
- A completed Graduate Studies Application form
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores from a recent (no more than five years old) administration of the examination.
- Official transcripts from all universities attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- A Statement of Purpose: Provide a statement about academic history and personal goals
- Letters of Recommendation: Optional
- A current résumé with employment or other experience
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score(for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Day or Evening Status
- The M.S.D.A. offers both day and evening programs. Students may not switch status once enrolled. Both programs begin in the Fall semester.