Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Early Childhood and Elementary Education, M.A.
*NOTE: This program will be renamed to Early Childhood and Elementary Education, M.A. beginning of Spring 2018 term.
Basic Degree Information/Description
The concentration in Early Childhood and Elementary Education focuses on the broad spectrum of development and learning in children from infancy through preadolescence. Emphasis is on translating related research and theory into curriculum development and instruction, with the intent of helping children realize the best development possible in a multicultural society. This concentration is designed primarily for experienced classroom teachers at the early childhood and elementary levels, but it is also suitable for personnel in human services and other allied fields.
Why pursue an M.A. in Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education?
- Focused areas of interest as well as customized programs are available.
- Personalized attention with low students/teacher ratios.
- Focus on research and application appropriate for further graduate study or professional growth.
- Thesis Option: 33 Semester Credit Hours
- Non-Thesis Option: 36 Semester Credit Hours
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A complete Graduate Studies application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- If an applicant’s GPA is between 2.7 and 2.99, probationary admission may be granted and the student must maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA during the first 12 hours of coursework.
- Resume or CV, Letters of Recommendation, and Statement of Purpose are not required.
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.
Career Options Available for a Graduate in the M.A in Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education Program
- Public School Teacher
- Childcare Worker
- Parent Program Coordinator
- Center Director
- Elementary Education Curriculum Specialist
- ECE Community College Professors
- ECE Curriculum Consultants
Research taking place in the M.A in Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education program
- Both qualitative and quantitative as well as mixed methods
- School settings and community based contexts
- Some included areas: teacher professional development, obesity prevention, dual language instruction, environmental education, interdisciplinary teaching, and differentiated instruction.