Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Arts degree in History offers students the opportunity to pursue the advanced study of history. The program is designed to develop historical skills and to expand students’ understanding of the conceptualization and practice of history. Explicit attention is focused on historical comparisons and historical comparative frameworks.
- A Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study is required for admission (12 of these hours must be at the upper division level).
- For more information regarding coursework and requirements, please refer to the graduate catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- A grade point average of 3.2 or better (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 hours of undergraduate education and a grade point average of 3.2 or higher in all History courses taken is required.
- Students who do not meet this requirement, and who have 12 semester credit hours of courses with significant historical content, may be considered for admission if they meet one or more of the following conditions:
- A minimum graduate point average of 2.8 overall.
- A graduate point average of 3.0 in 15 hours of graduate or professional courses.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A completed Graduate Studies application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- The general GRE is required.
- Two Letters of Recommendation are required. It is strongly recommended that at least one of the letters be from a professor who can discuss and evaluate specifically your academic qualifications and potential for graduate study.
- A Statement of Purpose is required and should be a 500 word statement of purpose is required and it should describe how a M.A. in History will advance personal and professional goals.
- Other Application Requirements: A research-based writing sample is optional.
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.