Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Information Technology (M.S.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Science degree in Information Technology (M.S.I.T.) provides information systems and computer science professionals with the opportunity to acquire technical knowledge in a variety of specialized information technology fields and the management skills to create, plan, organize, lead, and control the information technology in their organizations. The program is designed for students with a technical background and preferably an undergraduate or graduate degree in information systems or computer science.
Why pursue an M.S. in Information Technology at UTSA?
The Master of Science in Information Technology program is designed to provide information system and computer science professionals with essential management skill and knowledge about creating, planning, and organizing, leading and controlling information technology. The program strives to meet the growing global demand for managers who can draw upon a unique combination of technical and managerial skills to assess, manage, and bring advances in information technology in the form of innovative products and services.
In today’s rapidly changing technological environment, information technology managers require a different education than that offered by a general MBA program. In addition to an in-depth scientific or engineering knowledge and on-the-job experience, they must have substantial managerial knowledge about planning and leading technical and scientific projects, directing information technology system design, developing professional and technical employees and integrating the various functions of the organization.
The program allows students who work full-time in the information industry to obtain further education and training that relates directly to their work. Employers benefit from the retention of valuable, skilled employees with additional management of technology skills, and working professionals benefit from the opportunity to advance their careers with minimal impact of their personal lives.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Application Requirements and Deadlines
- Please contact the department for more information.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A complete Graduate Studies application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- GMAT or GRE tests scores are required.
- A resume is optional.
- Letters of Recommendation are optional.
- A Statement of Purpose is required.
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.