Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Arts Degree in Spanish offers the Student the opportunity for an in-depth view of Hispanic literatures, cultures, and language. The program underscores the unity of the Hispanic world rather than its national components. Elective course in linguistics offer an opportunity to further the student’s grasp of the Spanish language in its geographical, cultural, and social variations.
Degree Requirements and Specific Deadlines
- The minimum number of semester credit hours required for this degree, exclusive of coursework or other study required to remove admission deficiencies, is 36.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
- Applicants are expected to have 12 or more upper-division hours in Hispanic culture, literature, or linguistics, and mastery or oral and written skills in Spanish.
- Upper-division grammar, oral communication, and language courses which do not concentrate on Spanish content may not be included in requirements.
- Students are required to have written and oral proficiencies assessed during their first semester of study.
- A grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is required in undergraduate coursework in Spanish. These requirements may be waived in unusual circumstances upon the approval of the Graduate Program Committee. Admissions determination is based equally on all of the documents that are submitted for evaluation (G.P.A., undergraduate coursework, fluency in Spanish, the personal statement, and the letters of recommendation).
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A complete Graduate Studies application.
- Official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended. International transcripts must be officially translated to English from the original language.
- One Letter of Recommendation is required and it should be from a prior professor or professional colleague. Two L/R are optional.
- A one-to-two page statement of purpose written in Spanish describing the objectives of proposed graduate study is required.
- Minimum TOEFL Score (for International Applicants): 550 paper/79 internet
- Minimum IELTS Score (for International Applicants): 6.5
- Additional Requirements: International students and those with international degrees may be required to submit additional documents per our admissions policies and procedures. The Graduate School reserves the right to request any additional documents needed to fairly and consistently evaluate applicant credentials.