Graduate School Excellence in Graduate Advising Award
The Outstanding Graduate Adviser Award recognizes the exemplary service of a graduate adviser. Graduate advisers provide an invaluable service to the university and its community of students, faculty and staff, and the award is one of the few opportunities available to recognize these individuals.
One award of $3,500 is presented annually at a special ceremony in April during Graduate Student Appreciation Week. Nominees are not required to have served a minimum number of years, but the selection committee may consider length of term in choosing the award recipient. In general, nominations should be restricted to faculty or staff currently or recently serving in the role of adviser for Master’s or Doctoral students at UTSA.
The award committee will look for the following criteria in making the award:
- The nominee’s role in recruiting and retaining high quality graduate students
- The nominee’s availability/accessibility to graduate students and sensitivity to their needs
- The nominee’s record of preventing as well as resolving problems
- The nominee’s contribution to the professional and academic development of graduate students
- The nominee’s effectiveness in administering the graduate program
- The nominee’s contribution to governance of graduate programs (e.g. serving on university committees concerning graduate education or the Graduate Council) and his/her ability to work effectively with faculty and other administrators on issues pertaining to graduate education
- The nominee must currently hold the title of Graduate Adviser of Record, Student Development Specialist, or Program Coordinator.
Nominations must be submitted using the Graduate School’s online awards system. Nominations must be initiated by academic deans, department chairs or program directors.
To complete the online application, collect the following:
- A cover letter from the academic dean, department chair or program director briefly describing why this individual is being nominated
- As many as two letters of support, including at least one from a current or former student. Letters of support should focus on the nominee’s contributions in his or her role as student adviser as opposed to other administrative or faculty roles.
- Dates of service as a graduate adviser, program coordinator, or student development specialist.
- Optional: Graduate program materials relevant to the award nomination. If materials are submitted, describe the nominee’s role in their production or development (e.g. conceptualization, design, writing, editing, etc.).
- The Graduate School Excellence in Graduate Advising Award Committee is called together by the Associate Dean and Director for Recruitment and Academic Affairs in The Graduate School as soon as possible after the submission deadline.
- Care will be taken to insure that all members of the Committee fully understand the significance of the award and the necessity for maintaining the integrity of the award.
- Individuals who are nominating for this award may not serve on the selection committee.
- After reviewing all nomination packets, the Committee will rank the nominees and the nominees receiving most votes will be forwarded to the Dean.
- One recipient will be selected for this award.
The application deadline to submit nomination packets to The Graduate School via the online awards system is Friday, March 2nd, by 12:00 pm. Nomination packets must be complete and submitted as one (1) .pdf file.