Establishing Texas Residency

General Information about State of Texas Residency Laws according to Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules, an applicant or enrolled student is classified either as a resident of Texas, a non-resident, or an international/foreign student. With few exceptions, in order to be eligible for classification as a Texas resident, an applicant or enrolled student must reside in Texas for 12 continuous months AND establish domicile (a person’s principal, permanent residence to which the person intends to return after any temporary absence) in Texas for 12 months prior to the census date of said applicant's/student's term of admission/enrollment. Any applicant or student who is claimed as a dependent or is eligible to be claimed as a dependent of a parent's most recent federal tax return will be classified based on the parent's qualification for residency.

For International applicants/students, depending on their visa type/status, some may be eligible to establish legal domicile in Texas and therefore may be eligible for Texas residency status. For a list of visa types and for information about whether or not a respective visa holder is eligible to domicile in the United States, please reference the following site: College for all Texans - Residency Information

Although not conclusive or exhaustive, the following factors occurring throughout at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date of the semester in which a person seeks to enroll may lend support to a claim regarding his/her intent to establish and maintain domicile in Texas:

  • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained domicile at that residence;
  • Ownership and customary management of a business, by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, in Texas which is regularly operated without the intention of liquidation for the foreseeable future;
  • Gainful employment in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent;
  • Marriage, by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, to a person who has established and maintained domicile in Texas.

If an applicant or student is initially classified as a non-resident and wishes to petition his or her status if he or she believes that he or she meets the residency requirements, the first step is to submit a new residency questionnaire; to the residency officer prior to the census date of the semester in which the applicant or student is seeking reclassification.

Applicants or students may submit residency document via mail, fax, or in person:

Mailing Address:
The University of Texas at San Antonio
ATTN: The Graduate School, Residency Officer
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249

Phone: (210) 458-4331

Fax: (210) 458-4332


To view Texas Residency Forms, Click HERE.

important dates

View Calendar