Frequently Asked Questions

How do I change the term or program on a graduate application that hasn’t been submitted?

  • Log back into the online application.
  • This will direct you to a landing page that will display your In Progress applications.
  • If you wish to change the term, please click on the “Edit” button and make the correct changes.
  • If you wish to change the program, please click the “Start New Application” button at the bottom of the list. This will transfer information that you previously entered in your application, but allow you to select a new program.

How do I change my program of interest after submitting the online graduate application?

If you have already submitted your application, you will need to submit a new application to the correct program, as well as a non-refundable application fee. The Decision Desk application system is program-specific, so please verify that you are applying to the correct program to ensure that all requirements are met for your program of interest.

Can I submit my graduate application even though all my supplemental documents and transcripts may not be submitted or requested?

Yes. The admissions team will update your status as your official documents become available to us. Make sure you submit all required items prior to the program’s posted deadline.

How do I track my graduate application status?

If you have access to ASAP, our automated student access program, you can check your status online by following these instructions:

  1. Log into ASAP
  2. Select "Student Services" tab
  3. Select "Admissions" link
  4. Select "Display Application" link
  5. Choose your current application term
  6. View your admissions status
  7. If you do not have access to ASAP yet, please check your status by emailing the Admissions team at to determine which application items have been received or may still be required for processing.

How do I defer my graduate application?

If you are a masters or certificate applicant and your application status is “Incomplete” or “Admitted”, you are eligible to defer your application. Please note that application deferral is not available for doctoral applicants.

To submit a deferral request, please log into ASAP and go to the “Student Services” tab. Please select Graduate School, fill out the “Deferral Request” form, and submit online.

Note: Some programs offer entry only for the Fall term or may not offer Summer admission. These programs are not eligible for deferral and will require a new application to be submitted, as well as a non-refundable application fee.

How many semesters can I defer my graduate admission/application?

Three consecutive semesters, beginning with your original application semester. This means that you can defer your application up to two semesters past your initial term of application.

Note: Some programs offer entry only for the Fall term or may not offer Summer admission. These programs are not eligible for deferral and will require a new application to be submitted, as well as a non-refundable application fee.

What are the requirements for my graduate program?

Review the list of available Graduate Programs to determine the specific requirements for your program of interest. 

What are the minimum GRE/GMAT test scores for graduate school?

A minimum requirement for test scores is not provided. An applicant’s performance on a standardized test is considered together with other required admissions criteria when making an admissions or competitive scholarship decision. A GRE/GMAT score will not be used as the sole criteria for consideration of an applicant or as the primary criteria to end consideration of an applicant.

Does the GRE/GMAT test score expire for graduate admission consideration?

Yes. At the time of application deadline, the test scores must be less than five (5) years old. The applicant will be required to retake the test if the scores presented are older than five years.

Do I qualify as a domestic student?

Domestic students are those students who are United States citizens or permanent residents of the United States. If you are currently in the US on a visa of any kind, you are considered an international applicant.

Why was I denied for graduate admission?

If you have received a denial decision and have questions regarding your decision, please contact the Graduate Advisor of your prospective department.

Do I have to mail the Residency Questionnaire at the end of the graduate application?

No. The residency questionnaire is included within the online application system and should be filled out as you fill out the rest of your application to The Graduate School. If we have questions regarding your residency standing or if further supporting documents are required, we will contact you by email or mail.

Do I apply for financial aid before or after I apply to graduate school?

As soon as possible. We encourage every domestic applicant to submit the FAFSA prior to applying to provide additional funding opportunities.

How much is graduate school tuition?

Tuition and fees are subject to change. The most up-to-date current tuition schedule can be located on the  Fiscal Services website. 

Are graduate students required to submit proof of a bacterial meningitis vaccination?

Yes. Proof of immunization against meningitis is now required for all new UTSA students under the age of 22 to allow registration for coursework. Please visit UTSA Student Health Services or click the “Bacterial Meningitis” link at for the detailed requirements and action steps. You are strongly encouraged to obtain your bacterial meningitis vaccination prior to entering the United States or moving to the UTSA area.

What is the institutional code for UTSA The Graduate School?

The institutional code for the GRE, GMAT, and TOEFL examination is 6919. A department code is not required. IELTS does not utilize a code system.