Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Accountancy (MACY) is a comprehensive graduate degree in accounting that provides students with solid theoretical foundations as well as, opportunities to focus on areas such as taxation, auditing, and financial reporting. The MACY degree incorporates four theoretical and applied components that prepare students well for their careers as professional accountants. There is a constant demand or well-trained accountants in both the private and public sectors. Increasingly, the Master's degree is being seen not just as a preferred, but as a required credential for entry into the public accounting profession.
The Master of Accountancy (MACY) degree is designed to accommodate applicants with a degree in any field. Applicants must either complete the equivalent of a B.B.A. degree in accounting from an accredited institution or must enroll in the MACY core courses plus certain accounting courses set out by the Coordinator of Graduate Programs in Accounting. Students whose background is in business, but who have completed MACY core courses or their equivalents seven or more years before entering the program may be required by the MACY Admissions Committee to successfully complete or test out of the MACY core courses. MACY core courses may be taken simultaneously with the MACY requirements, subject to course prerequisites and approval of the Coordinator of Graduate Programs in Accounting.
Why Pursue a Master of Accountancy?
The Master of Accountancy is the most expeditious way for students to complete the 150 credit hour educational requirement to sit for the Certified Public Accountant Examination in Texas. A typical undergraduate student (120 hours), regardless of prior major, can reach the 150 credit hour limit and meet the accounting coursework requirements (30 hours) to sit for the exam by completing the MACY program.
- The minimum number of semester credit hours required for this degree, exclusive of coursework or other study required to remove admission deficiencies, is 30 hours.
- For more information about required coursework, please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines:
- Required Degree: Must complete the equivalent of a B.B.A. degree in accounting from an accredited institution or must enroll in the MACY leveling courses plus certain accounting courses set out by the Director of Masters' Programs in Accounting.
- Other Degree Requirements: Students whose background is in business but who have completed MACY leveling courses or their equivalents seven or more years before entering the program may be required by the MACY Admissions Committee to successfully complete or test out of the MACY leveling courses. MACY leveling courses may be taken simultaneously with the MACY requirements, subject to course prerequisites and approval of the Director of Masters' Programs in Accounting. Please contact the department for more information.
- General University Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A current resume with employment and other experience is optional.
- Letters of Recommendation: Letters of reference are optional.
- Statement of Purpose: A personal statement.
- Test Scores: GMAT, not older than five years.
- Other: None.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: U.S. Citizens (Domestic) or permanent residents who have earned university level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit all official transcripts from foreign institutions along with an evaluation of the transcripts from an approved Foreign Credential Agency.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- International Applicants:
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 550 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
- Additional Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet international graduate student admission requirements.