Applied Demography (M.S.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Science in Applied Demography will give students a graduate level introduction to the study of population and how the tools of a demographer are used to guide policy decisions. At the end of the degree program, students will be able to: work with large and complex data sources; analyze these data using appropriate statistical tests; graphically present data using statistical techniques and GIS; and write reports and papers based on empirically based questions using real data.
Why Pursue an M.S. in Applied Demography at UTSA?
- The demand for applied demographers in both research and industry settings is increasing and the skillset that our program provides will allow you to fill these emerging and high-demand job roles.
- Our program has a strong emphasis on socially and policy-informed data science, where you receive training in quantitative data analysis with an emphasis on problem solving in social, health, and policy research settings.
Note: The Master of Science in Applied Demography applications are reviewed as a pool by the review committee with the goal of sharing decisions with applicants in early May and early August, depending on when the application is received.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
| Required Degree
||Bachelor’s degree in sociology, economics, geography, statistics, public policy, urban planning, public health or related fields.
| Other Degree Requirements
||One semester of undergraduate statistics or research methods is required.
| General University Requirements
||Must meet university wide requirements.
||A completed a Graduate School application.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
||Three letters of recommendation.
| Statement of Purpose
||A letter of application describing the applicant’s academic and work backgrounds and goals and objectives related to the applicant’s MS program.
| Test Scores
||General GRE, not required.
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- Foreign credential evaluations must be received by the application deadline for your application to be processed.
- Foreign Credentials Service of America in Austin, TX is the only accepted evaluation agency. They can be reached at (512) 459-8429, email@example.com, or online at https://www.foreigncredentials.org/our-services/apply-now/.
- If you need a request form, please visit the FCSA website to access the form here.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
||A writing sample.
Graduates of the program will be employed as data analysts throughout the region in health, policy, education, and data science careers. The training in data analysis, computer software, and data management will be marketable in many settings. In addition, program graduates will have the option of continuing into the Ph.D. in Applied demography.
Students in the program will have the opportunities to work with faculty in the program on original research projects, with the goal of presenting their work at national and regional conferences, and pursuing publication of their work.
Graduate Advisor of Record: Corey Sparks, Ph.D.
Email Address: Corey.Sparks@utsa.edu
Telephone: (210) 458-3166
The College will reimburse the application fee for applicants that submit an application for either the Spring 2021, Summer 2021 or Fall 2021 terms if they are admitted and still enrolled at the census date.
Degree Catalog Link: Graduate Catalog
Degree Website: MS Applied Demography
Course Scheduling and Offerings:
All graduate courses are offered in the evening at the UTSA Downtown Campus.
Competitive funding opportunities available, if interested please contact the Graduate Advisor of Record.