Doctoral Degree ProgramsPhysics (Ph.D.)
Master's Degreechoose a program
Graduate Certificate Programschoose a program
Downtown Campus Programschoose a program
Integrated Programschoose a program
Multidisciplinary Studies Building (MS)
Monday - Friday
8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Phone: (210) 458-4331
Fax: (210) 458-4332
Statistics and Data Science (M.S.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Science (M.S.) Degree in Statistics and Data Science includes instruction in a broad range of statistical methods and computational tools to equip students to pursue careers as government, industrial, or academic statisticians, or to continue to doctoral study in statistics.
Why pursue an M.S. in Statistics and Data Science at UTSA?
- In this age of advanced technology, there is an increasing demand for trained individuals who understand the nature or designing experiments, making predictions and forecasts, and analyzing large complex data sets. In response to this demand, the Master of Science degree in Statistics and Data Science has been implemented at UTSA.
- The program includes instruction in a broad range of statistical methods and applied computational tools to equip students to pursue careers in government, health science centers, pharmaceutical and manufacturing industries, financial institutions, or to continue to doctoral study in statistics.
Application Requirements and Deadlines:
- Students must complete 33 semester credit hours and a comprehensive examination.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
- Required Degree: B.A. or B.S. in statistics, mathematics, engineering, business, or related field.
- Other Degree Requirements: Three semesters of calculus and a course in matric theory/linear algebra or their equivalents are required for unconditional admission. A course in probability and/or statistics is preferred but not required.
- General University Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: None.
- Letters of Recommendation: None.
- Statement of Purpose: None.
- Test Scores: General GRE, not older than five years.
- Other: None.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. citizens (Domestic), or permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended. If official transcripts are used in the foreign credential evaluation, the official transcript requirement will be considered met. However, if unofficial documents are used in the foreign credential evaluation, final official transcripts must be sent to UTSA.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Career Options Available
Graduates of the degree (the former MS in Mathematics with a concentration in Statistics and MS in Statistics) are employed as statisticians throughout the community at The UT Health, Fort Sam Houston, PPD Pharmaco, ILEX Oncology, USAA and Southwest Research Institute. In addition several graduates have earned doctoral degrees at such schools as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Southern Methodist University and the University of Chicago. The MS in Statistics and Data Science will further enhance job opportunities for its graduates with the emphasis on applied courses and the implementation of statistical methodologies using SAS and R.