Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Multidisciplinary Studies Building (MS)
Monday - Friday
8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Phone: (210) 458-4331
Fax: (210) 458-4332
Art History (M.A.)
- The minimum number of semester credit hours required for this degree, exclusive of coursework or other study required to remove admission deficiencies, is 36.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
- Required Degree: Applicants are expected to have completed an undergraduate major (24 semester credit hours) in art history or the equivalent in related fields that combine substantial studies in the humanities and visual arts.
- Other Degree Requirements: Students with no studio background will be required to take one undergraduate studio art course (3 semester credit hours). Students determined as having no studio background and completing a 5000 or 6000 level UTSA Art (ART) studio course offered by a graduate faculty member will fulfill this requirement and this coursework can be utilized to fulfill 3 semester credit hours of free electives under part C of the Master of Arts program of study. Students needing to fulfill this requirement should consult with the Graduate Advisor of Record (GAR) for Art History for advice concerning appropriate courses and instructors.
- General University Requirements:A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: None.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation. At least 2 of which should be academic.
- Statement of Purpose: A statement of intent concerning graduate school.
- Test Scores: General GRE.
- Other: A writing sample with research emphasis.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. citizens (Domestic), or permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended. If official transcripts are used in the foreign credential evaluation, the official transcript requirement will be considered met. However, if unofficial documents are used in the foreign credential evaluation, final official transcripts must be sent to UTSA.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Arts degree in Art History offers the opportunity for advanced study in art history, with an emphasis on Spanish, pre-Columbian, Latin American Colonial to Modern, and contemporary Hispanic art in the United States; contemporary United States art and criticism; and the cultural and artistic traditions of San Antonio' s immediate region. The degree is designed to prepare the student for a career as a teacher of art history at the junior-college level and other arts-related professions or to serve as a basis for entering doctoral studies elsewhere.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines