Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Ph.D. program in Marketing at the College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio, is designed to develop outstanding scholars for careers in research and teaching at leading universities. This is achieved by a strong emphasis on the development of conceptual and methodological skills. Throughout the program, students will be exposed to a variety of topics within the field of marketing research. However, the program has a particular focus on behavioral research. This is achieved by assembling an internationally known faculty whose research interests are in the general area of consumer research and have published widely in the most respected peer reviewed journals (for details on faculty publications and research interests, click here).
Why a Marketing Ph.D.?
- The college's doctoral classes are diverse in terms of professional experience, academic experience, cultural influences and international experiences.
- Commitment to research and a passion for teaching are two of the qualities that distinguish both our doctoral faculty and our graduates.
- Students work closely with faculty members in small classes, seminars, research projects and other assignments, aimed toward developing the analytical skills competencies to conduct independent quality research.
- PhD's are generally funded with our financial package which consists of an assistantship in the form of a research or teaching assistantship with paid tuition and fees for up to four (4) years.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Admission to the program is limited and competitive. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Competitive applicants often exceed minimum requirements.
For more specific requirements, please visit the Online Graduate Catalog.
- Required Degree: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
- Other Degree Requirements: Candidates who do not possess a master’s degree in a business or business-related discipline with sufficient quantitative rigor are required to complete a program consisting of a minimum of 84 semester credit hours. Candidates whose backgrounds are determined to be insufficient may be directed to take additional background or leveling courses before proceeding to the program’s required courses.
- General University Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A resume or curriculum vita.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional sources familiar with the applicant’s background.
- Statement of Purpose: A statement of academic interests and goals for pursuing a Ph.D. in Marketing.
- Test Scores: General GMAT or GRE, not older than five years.
- Other: Applicants may be asked to appear before the admissions committee for a personal interview.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: U.S. Citizens (Domestic) or permanent residents who have earned university level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit all official transcripts from foreign institutions along with an evaluation of the transcripts from an approved Foreign Credential Agency.
- Approved evaluation companies are listed at the following: foreign credential agencies.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- International Applicants:
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 550 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
- Additional Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet international graduate student admission requirements.
Career Options Available for a Ph.D. Marketing
- Private industry
Research Opportunities Available in UTSA College of Business Doctoral programs
Our professors do research in their fields which keep them current. In turn, this also helps students keep current and aware of trends/changes in the fields of Accounting, Finance, Information Systems & Technology Management (IT), Marketing, Organization and Management Studies (Management) and Management Science and Statistics for the Ph.D.