Doctoral Degree ProgramsPhysics (Ph.D.)
Master's Degreechoose a program
Graduate Certificate Programschoose a program
Downtown Campus Programschoose a program
Integrated Programschoose a program
Multidisciplinary Studies Building (MS)
Monday - Friday
8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Phone: (210) 458-4331
Fax: (210) 458-4332
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Ph.D. program in Marketing at the College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio, is designed to develop outstanding scholars for careers in research and teaching at leading universities. This is achieved by a strong emphasis on the development of conceptual and methodological skills. Throughout the program, students will be exposed to a variety of topics - behavioral and managerial within the field of marketing. This is achieved by assembling an internationally known faculty whose research interests are in the general areas of product innovation and take-off, judgment and decision making, marketing strategy, Big Data, marketing models, consumer identities issues, cross-cultural research, retailing, advertising and have published widely in the most respected peer reviewed journals in marketing including the Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research and Marketing Science. Based on our research productivity between 2015-2018, the University of Texas at Dallas ranked the UTSA Marketing Department 39th nationally. Members of the faculty also serve or have served on the editorial boards of prestigious marketing journals such as the Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Retailing, Marketing Letters, and tourism journals such as Journal of Travel Research, and the International Journal of Hospitality Management. (for details on faculty publications and research interests, click here).
Why a Marketing Ph.D.?
- The college's doctoral classes are diverse in terms of professional experience, academic experience, cultural influences and international experiences.
- Commitment to research and a passion for teaching are two of the qualities that distinguish both our doctoral faculty and our graduates.
- Students work closely with faculty members in small classes, seminars, research projects and other assignments, aimed toward developing the analytical skills competencies to conduct independent high-quality research.
- PhD's are generally funded with our financial package which consists of an assistantship in the form of a research or teaching assistantship with paid tuition and fees for up to four (4) years. Recent graduates have been placed in top-tier Carnegie R1 institutions such as the University of Arkansas, the University of Cincinnati, the University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa, and many other prestigious universities.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Admission to the program is limited and competitive. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Competitive applicants often exceed minimum requirements.
For more specific requirements, please visit the Online Graduate Catalog.
- Required Degree: Bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- Other Degree Requirements: Candidates who do not possess a master's degree in a business or business-related discipline with sufficient rigor are required to complete a program consisting of a minimum of 84 semester credit hours. Candidates whose backgrounds are determined to be insufficient may be directed to take additional background or leveling courses before proceeding to the program's required courses.
- General University Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A resume or curriculum vita.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional sources familiar with the applicant's background.
- Statement of Purpose: A statement of academic interests and goals for pursuing a Ph.D. in Marketing.
- Test Scores: General GMAT or GRE, not older than five years.
- Other: Applicants may be asked to appear before the admissions committee for a personal interview.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. citizens (Domestic), or permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended. If official transcripts are used in the foreign credential evaluation, the official transcript requirement will be considered met. However, if unofficial documents are used in the foreign credential evaluation, final official transcripts must be sent to UTSA.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Additional Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet international graduate student admission requirements.
Career Options Available for a Ph.D. Marketing
- Private industry
Research Opportunities Available in UTSA College of Business Doctoral programs
Our professors do research in their fields which keep them current. In turn, this also helps students keep current and aware of trends/changes in the fields of Accounting, Finance, Information Systems & Cyber Security (IT), Marketing, Management and Organization Studies (Management) and Management Science and Statistics.