Civil Engineering (M.C.E.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Civil Engineering degree is designed to provide specialized knowledge in selected technical areas of Civil Engineering. The educational objective of this program is to produce graduates who are capable of professional practice in a specialized area of Civil Engineering namely, environmental engineering, geo-environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, structural engineering,transportation engineering, and water resources engineering. The new MCE degree is a courses-only program targeted towards providing advanced technical training and building critical thinking skills for practicing engineers. Technical training is provided in five areas: environmental, geotechnical, hydraulic, structural and transportation engineering.
The minimum number of semester credit hours required for the MCE degree, in addition to any conditional course requirements, is 34 semester credit hours. At least 24 semester credit hours must be taken at UTSA. MCE students are required to give a technical seminar.
- The minimum number of semester credit hours required for the MCE degree, in addition to any conditional course requirements, is 34 semester credit hours. At least 24 semester credit hours must be taken at UTSA. MCE students are required to give a technical seminar. For a complete list of degree requirements, please contact the department.
- For more information on coursework, please see the Graduate Catalog.
| Required Degree
||An undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field from an accredited institution of higher education, or proof of equivalent training at a foreign institution.
| Other Degree Requirements
| General University Requirements
||Must meet university wide requirements.
||A completed a Graduate School application.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
| Statement of Purpose
|| A statement of specialization interest.
| Test Scores
||General GRE, not older than five years.
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Career Options Available for a Civil Engineering Graduate
Our graduates are in high demand in a multitude of private and government agencies, such as engineering consulting firms, infrastructure design/construction companies, environmental health companies, as well as various state, city, and municipal government organizations.
Course Scheduling and Offerings
- This program is housed on UTSA’s Main Campus.
- A listing of our available courses per semester are listed on the following website.