Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Data Analytics (M.S.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
This program will help students understand and properly employ data analytic algorithms used in the field, while providing students the skills needed to acquire, extract, transform, load, process, analyze, exploit, visualize, and communicate vast quantities and types of data. The program will enable graduates to transform data into relevant information that leads to knowledge and better decision making.
Why UTSA for an MS in Business?
This new program is designed to produce highly skilled and educated data scientists with broad knowledge in quantitative analysis and practical experience in targeted application areas such as cyber security, data science management, statistical analysis, life science and healthcare management, and more general business analytics. There is a large demand for these skills, and salaries are high.
For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Required Degree: A degree of B.A. or B.S. in statistics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, information systems, information technology, or a closely related field is highly recommended.
- Other Degree Requirements: Applicants will be evaluated for success in the program based on demonstrable academic preparation and/or experience with respect to mathematics, statistics, and information technology. Coursework in calculus, differential equations, stochastic processes, statistics, and data mining are not required, but show foundational mathematical preparation and are preferred in some combination. Information systems/technology courses, computer science courses, and/or professional experience related to databases, networks, distributed and cloud infrastructures, and programming are not required, but show foundational information technology preparation and are preferred in some combination.
- General University Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A current resume with employment or other experience.
- Letters of Recommendation: Letters of reference are optional.
- Statement of Purpose: A personal statement of academic history and personal goals.
- Test Scores: GMAT or GRE, not older than five years.
- Other: None.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: U.S. Citizens (Domestic) or permanent residents who have earned university level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit all official transcripts from foreign institutions along with an evaluation of the transcripts from an approved Foreign Credential Agency.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- International Applicants:
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 550 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
- Additional Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet international graduate student admission requirements.
Day or Evening Status
- The M.S.D.A. offers both day and evening programs. Students may not switch status once enrolled. Both programs begin in the Fall semester.