Doctoral Degree ProgramsPhysics (Ph.D.)
Master's Degreechoose a program
Graduate Certificate Programschoose a program
Downtown Campus Programschoose a program
Integrated Programschoose a program
Curriculum and Instruction (M.A.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The program is focused on the theoretical and practical aspects of curriculum planning, development, implementation, and evaluation in all subject fields and at all educational levels. The concepts of curricular innovation and teaching excellence are stressed in conjunction with expanded knowledge of content fields and applied research. Students who want to specialize in a teaching field may do so by taking courses in that field to support the concentration in Curriculum and Instruction. Within this concentration, a student may specialize in the supervision of instruction.
Why pursue an MA in Education - Curriculum and Instruction?
- Program breadth and quality: Students can choose from a variety of possibilities relating to teacher leadership in curriculum, curriculum development and administration, and specialties in curriculum focused on specific subject-matter areas.
- Relevance to a variety of professional contexts from early childhood to middle school and secondary to higher education and other adult learning situations.
- Thesis Option: 33 Semester Credit Hours
- Non-Thesis Option: 36 Semester Credit Hours
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Required Degree: Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
- Other Degree Requirements: Applicants without adequate preparation in education may be required to complete preparatory courses as a condition of admission.
- Fall 2018 Domestic Final Application Deadline: July 31 all required items are due.
- General University Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: Not required
- Letters of Recommendation: Not required
- Statement of Purpose: Not required
- Test Scores: Individuals who do not meet the University-wide graduate admission GPA may be required to submit GRE scores. The scores may not be older than five years.
- Other: None.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. citizens (Domestic), or permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended. If official transcripts are used in the foreign credential evaluation, the official transcript requirement will be considered met. However, if unofficial documents are used in the foreign credential evaluation, final official transcripts must be sent to UTSA.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Career Options Available for an M.A. in Education - Curriculum and Instruction
Preparation in C&I supports teachers at the early childhood/elementary, middle school, secondary and higher education/adult levels. It also supports administrators in their role as curriculum leaders. In addition, it prepares curriculum coordinators and specialists for their roles in schools or in other settings where training is developed and presented.
Research taking place in the Curriculum and Instruction program
The faculty is involved in extensive research on teaching and curriculum in a variety of disciplines and on curriculum theory and application. There are on-going projects in areas such as environmental education, middle-school education, the teaching of science and math, and the teaching of Spanish to heritage speakers.