Early Childhood and Elementary Education (M.A.)
Basic Degree Information/Description
The concentration in Early Childhood and Elementary Education focuses on the broad spectrum of development and learning in children from infancy through preadolescence. Emphasis is on translating related research and theory into curriculum development and instruction, with the intent of helping children realize the best development possible in a multicultural society. This concentration is designed primarily for experienced classroom teachers at the early childhood and elementary levels, but it is also suitable for personnel in human services and other allied fields.
Why pursue an M.A. in Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education?
- Focused areas of interest as well as customized programs are available.
- Personalized attention with low students/teacher ratios.
- Focus on research and application appropriate for further graduate study or professional growth.
- Thesis Option: 33 Semester Credit Hours
- Non-Thesis Option: 36 Semester Credit Hours
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
| Required Degree
||Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
| Other Degree Requirements
||Applicants without adequate preparation in education may be required to complete preparatory courses as a condition of admission.
| General University Requirements
||Must meet university wide requirements.
||A completed a Graduate School application.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
| Statement of Purpose
| Test Scores
||Individuals who do not meet the University-wide graduate admission GPA may be required to submit GRE scores. General GRE, may not be older than five years.
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- Foreign credential evaluations must be received by the application deadline for your application to be processed.
- Foreign Credentials Service of America in Austin, TX is the only accepted evaluation agency. They can be reached at (512) 459-8429, email@example.com, or online at https://www.foreigncredentials.org/our-services/apply-now/.
- If you need a request form, please visit the FCSA website to access the form here.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Career Options Available for a Graduate in the M.A in Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education Program
- Public School Teacher
- Childcare Worker
- Parent Program Coordinator
- Center Director
- Elementary Education Curriculum Specialist
- ECE Community College Professors
- ECE Curriculum Consultants
Research taking place in the M.A in Education - Early Childhood and Elementary Education program
- Both qualitative and quantitative as well as mixed methods
- School settings and community based contexts
- Some included areas: teacher professional development, obesity prevention, dual language instruction, environmental education, interdisciplinary teaching, and differentiated instruction.
Course Scheduling and Offerings
- Courses are offered at night once a week for three hours (6 PM to 8:45 PM) Monday-Thursday in the fall or spring. Or, during the day two hours a day Monday through Friday in the four-week summer sessions. In addition, some courses are available at night meeting Monday through Friday for three weeks in the May-Mester.
- This program is housed on the UTSA Main Campus.