Basic Degree Information/Description
The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in English offers students opportunities for advanced study and research in cross-cultural, transnational approaches to English language and literary studies, with coursework required in U.S. Latina/o literature and the theory and practice of teaching composition. The Ph.D. in English is awarded to candidates who complete all required coursework, demonstrate in-depth, cross-cultural knowledge of English-language literature, and produce an original contribution to their field of specialization.
Why Pursue a Ph.D. in English at UTSA?
- We offer a doctoral program with an emphasis in cross-cultural, transnational approaches to English language and literary studies.
- We offer graduate fellowships and scholarships to eligible students.
- We have a low student-to-faculty ratio and offer extensive mentoring to graduate students.
- We offer study abroad opportunities in England, Italy, and Spain.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
| Required Degree
|| A Master’s degree in English or a related discipline with a grade point average of 3.5 or better.
| Other Degree Requirements
|| A minimum of at least 18 upper-division and/or graduate hours in English literary studies with a grade point average of 3.5 or better.
| General University Requirements
||Must meet university wide requirements.
||A completed a Graduate School application.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
||Three letters of recommendation, attesting to the student’s academic training, capability, and potential.
| Statement of Purpose
||A statement of purpose (2-3 pages) describing research interests and purpose for pursuing the Ph.D. in English program.
| Test Scores
||General GRE, not older than five years old.
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
||A writing sample (a research paper approximately 15 pages).
- University or College Professor
- Professional Writing
- Funding is available for graduate student travel to conferences.
- Graduate Certificates in Creative Writing and in Rhetoric and Composition.
Course Scheduling and Offerings
- Graduate classes are generally offered in the evening and may also be offered in the afternoon or morning.
- A full listing of current classes may be accessed through ASAP (Course Schedules) and syllabi may be accessed through Bluebook.