Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Multidisciplinary Studies Building (MS)
Monday - Friday
8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Phone: (210) 458-4331
Fax: (210) 458-4332
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Master of Science degree in Finance (M.S.F.) provides an intensive education in various aspects of finance, including markets and institutions, corporate finance, international finance, financial modeling, and investments including derivative securities. Emphasis is on theoretical aspects of finance, developments in financial instruments and markets, and practical application tools and techniques. The program is designed to train students to be financial managers and analysts in corporations, banks, and investment institutions. It also provides the opportunity for students to prepare to undertake specialized certification examinations and doctoral studies in finance. The program, including admission, is supervised by the Graduate Program Committee in Finance, which includes the Graduate Advisor in Finance. General requirements for completion of the program consist of non-finance foundations of knowledge requirements, required finance courses, elective work, and a comprehensive examination.
Why pursue an M.S. in Finance at UTSA?
With the introduction of new products and technology to the financial marketplace in the past two decades, many areas of finance have undergone significant transformation. An understanding of the new financial environment requires the application of state-of-the-art analytical and computational techniques.
- Students must complete 33 semester credit hours and a comprehensive examination.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Students with non-finance undergraduate degrees may be required to take additional undergraduate and graduate courses for removal of deficiencies, as determined by the Graduate Program Committee in Finance. Such courses do not apply toward the degree. Please contact the department for more information.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A completed Graduate Studies application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Official Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores
- A resume is optional, but a current resume with employment or other experience is recommended.
- Letters of Recommendation are optional, but recommended.
- A Statement of Purpose is required.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. citizens (Domestic), or permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended. If official transcripts are used in the foreign credential evaluation, the official transcript requirement will be considered met. However, if unofficial documents are used in the foreign credential evaluation, final official transcripts must be sent to UTSA.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Additional Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet international graduate student admission requirements.
Career Options Available for Finance Graduates
Graduate-level finance jobs in industry require employees that are knowledgeable in many areas of finance, including corporate finance, international finance, financial modeling, investments, and derivative securities. The Master of Science in Finance is a specialized degree focusing on an intensive study of finance in the areas. There is a high demand in the job market for financial analysts in corporations, banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions.