Graduate Certificate in Applied Health Research
Basic Degree Information/Description
The graduate certificate in Applied Health Research is designed to meet the needs of students who want to develop skills related to community & applied public health research. These students include those with a general background in health education, health promotion, psychology, nutrition, or other related field. The certificate provides students with an understanding of the scope and skills associated with applied health research, especially community-based participatory research. The certificate will be offered 100% online and provides the opportunity to gain critical skills in responsibilities and competencies related to both health educator certification and public health research.
The certificate coursework allows students to develop skills to identify potential data sources and determine appropriate study designs. In addition, the coursework will expose students to utilizing data collection methods that yield reliable and valid data; conducting descriptive and inferential analysis of data; interpreting epidemiological studies and using epidemiological findings to inform community health research projects.
Students pursuing this program will complete the following courses:
KAH 5083 Epidemiology
KAH 5353 Research Methods in Community & Public Health
KAH 5363 Data Management and Descriptive Statistics
KAH 5373 Inferential Statistics
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Students who are not currently enrolled in a graduate degree program will be required to apply for admission to UTSA as a special (non-degree-seeking) graduate student and to indicate their intent to seek admission into a certificate program. Applicants will be required to meet university admission requirements for special graduate students. Once admitted as a special graduate student, the student will contact the Certificate Program Advisor and complete a form requesting permission to enter and complete the certificate program. The [Applied Health Research Certificate] Program Advisor and the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies in the College of Education and Human Development will sign the certificate form. A copy of this form will be sent to The Graduate School.
Departmental entrance requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree in Health Education, Health Promotion, Public Health, Psychology, Nutrition, or Dietetics. Closely related degrees will be considered based on completed coursework.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0, though students with a 3.0 GPA in their last two years will be considered.
- To maintain enrollment in the certificate program, students should maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout tenure in the program.
| General University Requirements
||Must meet certificate program regulations.
||A completed Graduate School application, unless currently enrolled as a degree-seeking graduate student.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
||Two professional letters of recommendation with specified criteria to address.
| Statement of Purpose
||Statement of Purpose in pursuing the certificate
| Test Scores
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
||All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- Foreign credential evaluations must be received by the application deadline for your application to be processed.
- Foreign Credentials Service of America in Austin, TX is the only accepted evaluation agency. They can be reached at (512) 459-8429, email@example.com, or online at https://www.foreigncredentials.org/our-services/apply-now/.
- If you need a request form, please visit the FCSA website to access the form here.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.