Doctoral Degree ProgramsPhysics (Ph.D.)
Master's Degreechoose a program
Graduate Certificate Programschoose a program
Downtown Campus Programschoose a program
Integrated Programschoose a program
Multidisciplinary Studies Building (MS)
Monday - Friday
8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Phone: (210) 458-4331
Fax: (210) 458-4332
Graduate Certificate in Bilingual Reading Specialist
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Bilingual Reading Specialist certificate is a 15-semester-credit-hour graduate certificate program for those who wish to become bilingual reading specialists as well as for educators who wish to obtain increased knowledge of reading instruction and literacy development in bilingual contexts.
The BRS Certificate program consists of 15 credit hours (five graduate courses).
Courses that are part of the certificate program include the following:
- Socio-cultural Issues & Teaching of Reading (BBL 5173)
- Second Language Reading and Writing (ESL 5033)
- Bi-literacy in Bilingual Classrooms (BBL 5063)
- Assessment in BBL and Second Language Studies (BBL 5053)
- Multicultural Literature for Children (BBL 5193)
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Admission requirements and prerequisites: Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
Specific Degree Requirements: See Catalog
Graduate Studies Application: Yes
Department Application: No
Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. citizens (Domestic), or permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended. If official transcripts are used in the foreign credential evaluation, the official transcript requirement will be considered met. However, if unofficial documents are used in the foreign credential evaluation, final official transcripts must be sent to UTSA.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Additional Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet international graduate student admission requirements.