Graduate Certificate in Bilingual Reading Specialist
Basic Degree Information/Description
The Bilingual Reading Specialist certificate is a 15-semester-credit-hour graduate certificate program for those who wish to become bilingual reading specialists as well as for educators who wish to obtain increased knowledge of reading instruction and literacy development in bilingual contexts.
The BRS Certificate program consists of 15 credit hours (five graduate courses).
Courses that are part of the certificate program include the following:
- Socio-cultural Issues & Teaching of Reading (BBL 5173)
- Second Language Reading and Writing (ESL 5033)
- Bi-literacy in Bilingual Classrooms (BBL 5063)
- Assessment in BBL and Second Language Studies (BBL 5053)
- Multicultural Literature for Children (BBL 5193)
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Bachelor's degree with 18 credit hours in field of study or in another appropriate field of study.
| General University Requirements
||Must meet certificate program regulations.
||A completed Graduate School application, unless currently enrolled as a degree-seeking graduate student.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
| Statement of Purpose
| Test Scores
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
||All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- Foreign credential evaluations must be received by the application deadline for your application to be processed.
- Foreign Credentials Service of America in Austin, TX is the only accepted evaluation agency. They can be reached at (512) 459-8429, firstname.lastname@example.org, or online at https://www.foreigncredentials.org/our-services/apply-now/.
- If you need a request form, please visit the FCSA website to access the form here.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
All students interested in financial aid should fill out the FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Assistance). The link to this site is: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ Students may also be interested in Graduate Assistantship positions available within the College. Typically, these assistantships are 19 hours per week.
Scholarships are also available to Graduate Students. Attached are links to scholarship databases:
Students who are pursuing a certificate as special graduate students will not be eligible for financial aid.
Course Scheduling and Offerings
- Courses are offered in the evenings (6 PM to 8:45 PM) to fit the schedules of working professionals.
- Daytime courses are available in the summer.
- This program is housed on the UTSA Main Campus.