Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing
Basic Certificate Information
The Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing adds interdisciplinary breadth to a student's course of study while increasing the depth and coherence of a student's work in creative writing. Given the growing interest in creative writing in non-traditional disciplines of medicine, sociology, and psychology as well as in liberal arts, many students find this formal recognition of their work in Creative Writing to be a valuable credential in both academic and non-academic job markets. This certificate demands an active engagement in graduate-level creative writing classes. Students who are pursuing the Graduate Certificate also receive first consideration for graduate workshop registration.
Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
Certificate Requirements: The Creative Writing Certificate is a 12-semester-credit-hour concentration available to degree-seeking students who have been admitted to any UTSA graduate program. Students who already have a graduate degree may also be considered for admission to the Creative Writing certificate program as special graduate students.
Specific Degree Requirements: For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
| General University Requirements
||Must meet certificate program regulations.
||A completed Graduate School application, unless currently enrolled as a degree-seeking graduate student.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
| Statement of Purpose
| Test Scores
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
||All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- Foreign credential evaluations must be received by the application deadline for your application to be processed.
- Foreign Credentials Service of America in Austin, TX is the only accepted evaluation agency. They can be reached at (512) 459-8429, firstname.lastname@example.org, or online at https://www.foreigncredentials.org/our-services/apply-now/.
- If you need a request form, please visit the FCSA website to access the form here.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.