Doctoral Degree Programs
Graduate Certificate Programs
Downtown Campus Programs
Information Technology (M.S.) - concentration in Cyber Security
Basic Degree Information/Description
This concentration is designed to offer the opportunity for qualified graduate students to study information technology while developing the special expertise in cyber security. To achieve this end, students can focus their elective courses on developing the specialized knowledge requirements for the cyber security area while at the same time completing the requirements for the Master of Science (M.S.) degree.
Why pursue an M.S. in Information Technology at UTSA?
The Master of Science in Information Technology program is designed to provide information systems and information technology professionals with essential technical and business skills necessary to become a cyber professional. The program strives to meet the growing global demand for cyber security specialists who can draw upon a unique combination of technical and business knowledge to assess, manage and bring advances in information technology in the form of innovative products and services. This concentration allows students to receive an update to the current technology in the field of cyber security. It offers the opportunity to study information technology while developing the special expertise in cyber security. To achieve this end students focus their elective courses on developing the specialized knowledge requirements for the computer and information security area while at the same time completing the requirements for the MS degree.
In today’s rapidly changing technological environment, information technology managers require a different education than that offered by a general program. In addition to an in-depth scientific or engineering knowledge and on-the-job experience, they must have substantial business knowledge about planning and leading technical and scientific projects, directing information technology system design, developing professional and technical employees and integrating the various functions of the organization.
In addition to providing the opportunity for students who plan to study full time, the program also allows professionals in the information technology and similar industries to obtain further education and training that relate directly to their work on a part-time basis. Employers benefit from the retention of valuable, skilled employees with additional management of technology skills, and working professionals benefit from the opportunity to advance their careers with minimal impact on their personal lives.
- For a complete list of degree requirements, please see that Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Required Degree: Applicants should have a technical background and preferable an undergraduate or graduate degree in information systems or computer science.
- Other Degree Requirements: None.
- General University Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- Application: A complete Graduate School application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A current resume with employment or other experience is optional.
- Letters of Recommendation: Letters of reference are optional.
- Statement of Purpose: A personal statement.
- Test Scores: GMAT, not older than five years.
- Other: None.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: U.S. Citizens (Domestic) or permanent residents who have earned university level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit all official transcripts from foreign institutions along with an evaluation of the transcripts from an approved Foreign Credential Agency.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- International Applicants:
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 550 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
- Additional Requirements: A degree seeking applicant must meet international graduate student admission requirements.