Basic Degree Information/Description
In addition to satisfying the University-wide graduate admission requirements, a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Mathematics or Statistics or a closely related field is highly recommended as preparation. Students who do not qualify for unconditional admission should anticipate that additional undergraduate and/or graduate coursework may be required to complete the degree. It is recommended that the applicant submit two letters of reference, preferably from those who can speak to the applicant’s mathematical abilities.
Why pursue a M.S. in Mathematics from UTSA?
Diverse: Issues In Higher Education magazine acknowledged UTSA as one of the nation’s “top STEM degree producers” in August 2013. UTSA’s Mathematics and Statistics programs were ranked 12th nationally for the number of master’s degrees awarded to minority students during the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Degree candidates are required to successfully complete 36 semester credit hours.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
| Required Degree
||A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Mathematics is highly recommended as preparation. However, exceptional applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in a closely related field may also be considered for admission.
|Other Degree Requirements
| General University Requirements
||Must meet university wide requirements.
||A completed a Graduate School application.
||Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
| Resume or Curriculum Vitae
| Letters of Recommendation
||It is recommended that the applicant submit two letters of reference, preferably from those who can speak to the applicant’s mathematical abilities.
| Statement of Purpose
||Applicants should provide scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
| Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. Citizens, and permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit official transcripts along with an evaluation of the transcripts from Foreign Credentials Service of America.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- Foreign credential evaluations must be received by the application deadline for your application to be processed.
- Foreign Credentials Service of America in Austin, TX is the only accepted evaluation agency. They can be reached at (512) 459-8429, email@example.com, or online at https://www.foreigncredentials.org/our-services/apply-now/.
- If you need a request form, please visit the FCSA website to access the form here.
| International Applicants
||Must meet international graduate student admission requirements
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.
Course Scheduling and Offerings
This program is housed on UTSA’s Main campus.