Doctoral Degree ProgramsPhysics (Ph.D.)
Master's Degreechoose a program
Graduate Certificate Programschoose a program
Downtown Campus Programschoose a program
Integrated Programschoose a program
Basic Degree Information/Description
In addition to satisfying the University-wide graduate admission requirements, a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Mathematics or Statistics or a closely related field is highly recommended as preparation. Students who do not qualify for unconditional admission should anticipate that additional undergraduate and/or graduate coursework may be required to complete the degree. It is recommended that the applicant submit two letters of reference, preferably from those who can speak to the applicant's mathematical abilities.
Why pursue a M.S. in Mathematics from UTSA?
Diverse: Issues In Higher Education magazine acknowledged UTSA as one of the nation's "top STEM degree producers" in August 2013. UTSA's Mathematics and Statistics programs were ranked 12th nationally for the number of master's degrees awarded to minority students during the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Degree candidates are required to successfully complete 36 semester credit hours.
- For a complete list of degree requirements please see the Graduate Catalog.
Admission Requirements and Deadlines
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Mathematics is highly recommended as preparation. However, exceptional applicants with a Bachelor's degree in a closely related field may also be considered for admission. Students who do not qualify for unconditional admission should anticipate that additional undergraduate and/or graduate coursework may be required to complete the degree.
- A degree seeking applicant must meet university wide requirements.
- A completed graduate studies application.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended. All international transcripts must be recorded in English or officially translated to English.
- Applicants should provide scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- It is recommended that the applicant submit two letters of reference, preferably from those who can speak to the applicant's mathematical abilities.
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials: All applicants including non-U.S. citizens (International), U.S. citizens (Domestic), or permanent residents who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit an evaluation from an approved Foreign Credential Agency of transcripts from all foreign institutions attended. If official transcripts are used in the foreign credential evaluation, the official transcript requirement will be considered met. However, if unofficial documents are used in the foreign credential evaluation, final official transcripts must be sent to UTSA.
- An approved evaluation requires a detailed course-by-course evaluation. Summaries will not be accepted.
- The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that provides evaluations of foreign school credentials. The application is available at: Application for Credentials Evaluation.
- IELTS: Minimum score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum scores of 79 or 60 for Internet or paper versions, respectively.