Multidisciplinary Studies Building (MS)
Monday - Friday
8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Phone: (210) 458-4331
Fax: (210) 458-4332
Graduate School Excellence in Research Award
The award consists of a Graduate School award certificate, the announcement of the award at a special ceremony in April during Graduate Student Appreciation Week, and a monetary award of $2,500. The award is to recognize, encourage, and reward those graduate students whose research efforts have been particularly successful and outstanding and are so recognized locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. The results of their research efforts should have contributed to the improvement of the quality of life and/or encouraged additional research, and/or added to the basic body of knowledge.
Graduate students at both the master's and doctoral level are eligible to be nominated if they are currently enrolled at UTSA in at least six hours of graduate-level coursework. They must also be in good academic standing, and making good progress toward their degree.
There are four steps in deciding upon recipients of the Excellence in Research Award: (1) Solicitation of nominations, (2) Preparation and submission of nomination materials, (3) Review of nomination by a Research Fellowship Review Committee, and (4) Recommending a recipient to the Graduate School Dean.
Faculty should submit names of potential candidates for this award to their Department Chair, and nomination packages should come only from Department Chairs. For each nomination, submit all materials electronically to The Graduate School online awards system.
The Contents of each nomination packet should be as follows:
- Letter of Nomination (limited to four pages).
- Student's Curriculum Vitae or Resumé.
- No more than two letters of endorsement from current UTSA faculty or faculty mentors.
- A reprint of no more than three outstanding publications or equivalent evidence of professional accomplishment (e.g. conference presentations).
- The Research Award Review Committee is called together by the Associate Dean for Research and Professional Development as soon as possible after the submission deadline.
- Care will be taken to insure that all members of the Committee fully understand the significance of the award and the necessity for maintaining the integrity of the award.
- Individuals who are nominating a student for this award may not serve on the selection committee.
- After reviewing all nomination packets, the Committee will rank the nominees and the nominees receiving the most votes will be forwarded to the Dean.
- One (1) master's student and one (1) doctoral student will be selected for this award.
The application deadline to submit nomination packets to The Graduate School via the online awards system is Friday, March 2nd, by 12:00 pm. Nomination packets must be complete and submitted as one (1) .pdf file.