Multidisciplinary Studies Building (MS)
Monday - Friday
8 A.M. - 5 P.M.
Phone: (210) 458-4331
Fax: (210) 458-4332
Graduate School Excellence in Teaching Award
The award consists of a Graduate School award certificate, the announcement of the award at a special ceremony in April during Graduate Student Appreciation Week, and a monetary award of $2,500. The award is to recognize, encourage, and reward those graduate students who have excelled in their teaching positions at The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). All nominations must be made by a faculty member and each graduate program may submit only one (1) nomination for each appointment category (TAI, TA2, or Assistant Instructor).
Graduate students at both the master’s and doctoral level are eligible to be nominated. Eligibility requirements include:
- The nominee must have taught on at least a one-half time basis for two semesters or summer sessions (10 weeks) during his or her graduate enrollment at The University of Texas at San Antonio, or must be completing the second semester of teaching at the time of nomination for the award.
- At the time of teaching the courses in item 1, the nominee must have been classified as a TAI, TA2, or Assistant Instructor or as Graduate Research Assistant with teaching responsibilities.
- The nominee must, at the time of nomination, be enrolled for a minimum of six hours of graduate-level course work.
- The nominee must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
There are four steps in deciding upon recipients of the Excellence in Research Award: (1) Solicitation of nominations, (2) Preparation and submission of nomination materials, (3) Review of nomination by a Teaching Fellowship Review Committee, and (4) Recommending a recipient to the Graduate School Dean.
Faculty should submit names of potential candidates for this award to their Department Chair, and nomination packages should come only from Department Chairs. For each nomination, submit all materials electronically to The Graduate School online awards system.
The Contents of each nomination packet should be as follows:
- Letter of Nomination (limited to four pages)
- Student’s Curriculum Vitae or Resumé
- No more than two letters of endorsement from current UTSA faculty or faculty mentors.
- Copies of course evaluations completed by students previously taught by the nominee at UTSA. No more than two letters of evaluation in each of the preceding categories should be submitted.
- Information about grade distributions for each class taught by the nominee.
- Information about courses taught, number of students enrolled and type of preparation required for teaching courses.
- The Teaching Award Review Committee is called together by the Associate Dean and Director for Teaching, Learning and Professional Development as soon as possible after the submission deadline.
- Care will be taken to insure that all members of the Committee fully understand the significance of the award and the necessity for maintaining the integrity of the award.
- Individuals who are nominating a student for this award may not serve on the selection committee.
- After reviewing all nomination packets, the Committee will rank the nominees and the nominees receiving most votes will be forwarded to the Dean.
- One (1) master’s student and one (1) doctoral student will be selected for this award.
The application deadline to submit nomination packets to The Graduate School via the online awards system is Friday, March 2nd, by 12:00 pm. Nomination packets must be complete and submitted as one (1) .pdf file.